Contact Me...

Monday 4 December 2017

The Doll House @Phoebe_A_Morgan @HQDigitalUK



About The Doll House

Corinne’s life might look perfect on the outside, but after three failed IVF attempts it’s her last chance to have a baby. And when she finds a tiny part of a doll house outside her flat, it feels as if it’s a sign.

But as more pieces begin to turn up, Corinne realises that they are far too familiar. Someone knows about the miniature rocking horse and the little doll with its red velvet dress. Someone has been inside her house…

How does the stranger know so much about her life? How long have they been watching? And what are they waiting for…?

A gripping debut psychological thriller with a twist you won’t see coming. Perfect for fans of I See You and The Widow.

My review of The Doll House
 
 

The Doll House by Phoebe Morgan is a stunning debut psychological thriller that I just couldn't put down. The chapters are short and fast paced and I was propelled onwards to find out what would happen next. It was such a joy to read.

The novel revolves mainly around two sisters, Connie and Ashley, and that o an unknown narrator. Connie and her partner, Dominic, desperately want children and after three failed attempts at IVF it feels as though Connie will never be a mother. She has lost contact with many friends, due to the fact that they are now mothers, and her relationship with her sister is also slightly strained as Ashley has three children, her youngest still a baby. However, Connie remains optimistic and when a small part of a dolls house is found outside her flat door, she takes this as a sign. However, as more and more parts are found, at her workplace, and then at home, the book takes on a deliciously dark and sinister feel. Who is responsible for leaving the objects that are the exact replica from her childhood dolls house? I'll admit to reading with a cold chill down my spine.

I really liked Connie. I felt as though I understood her. Her need to have a child and that every waking breath was consumed with this thought, this desire, that it blinded everything else in her life. I also felt incredibly sorry for her, as to me she was almost frozen in time, unable to move forward. To her, her life lacked meaning and purpose because she was not a mother. As the book progressed, Connie found herself questioning those around her, as well as her own sanity. Who can she trust?

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the book was also written from Ashley's point of view. This gave greater perspective and insight into Connie's character. I really liked Ashley, and felt that I could relate much more to her than Connie. I'm not sure if this was because she was a mother, or because I have never experienced IVF treatment, but I connected with her, and I thoroughly enjoyed her chapters.

We then also have chapters from an unknown author, a little girl, who grows up as we progress through the book. She details her life with her mother, a life of poverty and making ends meet. The constant question running through mu mind was, who is she? I loved this aspect of the book.

The Doll House is about the past, about family, about sisters,  and the fact that actions always have consequences. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't watt to read more by this author. Perfect to read this Wintertime.

With thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a review copy.

The Doll House  was published by HQ Digital on 14th September. I can be found on Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment